getting to hkust
Public transportation in Hong Kong is very efficient that getting to and from HKUST by MTR, bus, minibus or taxi is as easy as is accessible by car. The main gate of the campus features a large and easily recognizable sign with the university's name written in both English and Chinese. Passing the main gate, a gently sloping driveway leads to the entrance piazza with a large red sundial at its center. You may take a look at the video to get to know more about the campus environment.
- You may take MTR (Mass Transit Railway) to Choi Hung, Diamond Hill, Hang Hau, Ngau Tau Kok, Po Lam or Tiu Keng Leng station, where you can take bus/minibus to get to the main entrance or the southern entrance of the University. To know more information about the bus/minibus routes, please click here.
By Staff Bus/Shuttle Bus
- Currently staff bus service of 10 different routes transiting from and to various locations in Kowloon, New Territories, Hong Kong Island and the campus in the morning and in the evening during working days is available.
- Bus fare is paid by octopus card. All users have to register their octopus card (only one) with the University before using the service. Registration can be done online via the Campus Services Office website. It will take 3-7 days for the registration to be activated.
- Shuttle bus service is also available during term time. Please refer to Campus Services Office webpage for details.
- Taxis provide the simplest way to get to the University, and are easily available at any MTR station, from hotels and most areas of Hong Kong.
- You may take either a red taxi or a green taxi to get to HKUST.
- Sometimes, especially when carrying heavy baggage, you may wish to call a taxi instead of going to taxi stands. Here are some useful numbers for radio taxi service:
- Si Hai (四海) : 2332 2571 / 2697 4333
- Chuen Tung Radio Taxi Center (全通的士電召中心): 2398 1881
- Digital Taxi Telecom Center Ltd (數碼的士): 2720 6877
- Radio taxi service may involve charge of $5 on top of the metered charges.
- A taxi ride directly from the airport to HKUST costs approximately HK$380 (about US$49).
- Note that only Hong Kong dollars will be accepted by the taxi driver.
- The taxi drop-off point on campus is near the red sundial. For on-campus housing destinations, ask the security guard at the main gate to give the taxi driver directions.
By Car (Driving)
- From Hong Kong Island: Take the Eastern Harbour Crossing towards Lam Tin. Continue straight after the roundabout, and get in the right lane towards the Tseung Kwan O Tunnel, following signs for Hang Hau. At the roundabout for Hang Hau, take the Ying Yip Road exit, following the road past the Clearwater Bay Film Studio onto Clearwater Bay Road, and follow signs for HKUST.
- From Kowloon: Take Prince Edward Road towards Kwun Tong; after Choi Hung Estates, stay left and follow signs to Clearwater Bay. Take Clear Water Bay Road and follow signs to HKUST.
- From Shatin: Take Tate's Cairn or Lion Rock Tunnel, staying left onto Lung Cheung Road. Follow signs to Sai Kung. Take Clear Water Bay Road, following signs for HKUST.
- The maps below show you the main routes connecting Kowloon and Hong Kong Island to our campus.
Campus Entry/Parking Label
- To ingress into or egress out of covered car parks and enjoy free parking on campus, you may apply for a campus entry label for your vehicle registered in your or your spouse's name by completing and submitting the Application for Campus Parking Permit to the Facilities Management Office.
- More information about campus traffic and parking regulations is available here.